Saturday, May 10, 2008

50 days and counting

So I'm finally getting around to putting this blog together rather than sending out mass emails on my exploits here in Japan. I'm not gonna, this whole culture over here is pretty damn strange, but I'm having a good time. For those who didn't get the email with the video of my apt., its pretty big and its really cheap. It comes out to be about 120 American every month with pretty minimal bills, besides my phone bill because its 10 cents for every 30 seconds with no allocated monthly minutes. Its a shit system, but whatever, not like I have much of a choice over here. I've cleaned the place up but I'm waiting on my first paycheck before I get anymore furniture or paint or do anything. I'm living on quite the budget right now, lots of McDonalds and other cheap Japanese foods holding me over for now.
Before I forget, a note on Japanese furniture, namely futons, toilets and bathtubs. They are complete shit. People sleep on futons on the ground here. We were told to take the futons out once every few days to air out and beat back into shape so they don't go completely flat. Well, it didn't seem to matter because mine is now a wafer thin piece of fabric through which I can feel each ridge in my tatami mat. So, with the future check I'm going immediately to Ikea, which is located on the way to Tokyo and I'm buying a bed. I can't take this shit anymore. Japanese toilets are also quite shitty, no pun intended. They are essentially holes in the ground which one is supposed to squat over and drop yo deuces. I only ever have to deal with them at school, but I dread blowin mud there cause I constantly feel as though I'm going to shit all over the back of my legs and trousers. As for Japanese bathtubs, I still haven't used it yet, but the idea is not one I'm too keen on. The idea is to shower first, then soak in the bathtub, which is quite tall, but very compact. After the shower though, the water is saved, covered with a sort of lid and saved for the next person to use or even saved for the next day. I can't imagine I'm going to participate in this cultural festivity in the next year, just doesn't sound that exciting. Or hygenic.
While I'm on the subject of Japanese living quarters, I also hate tatami mats because of the constant attention they require and the bugs that supposedly frequent them in the summer. They also smell like a barn. Having a dryer is a luxury in Japan, so my clothes never feel dry. Other than that, I love my apartment!

No comments: